Friday, December 11, 2015

Artifacts of My Life

Artifacts of My Life!


1. 

     Ah, this photo is a lovely close up picture of the Eidophusikon! As you can see, each of the objects on the platform stick out from each other. These are controlled by a cog which moves each image almost in a circle as if the scene is entirely moving. The closer to the front of the platform, the smaller the image is, which creates a truly 3D image. The Eidophusikon is my prideful moment in theater and it became a hit for a while. Sadly, it is only known as an obscure unknown part of history nowadays.

"Das Eidophusikon." PapierTheater-Forum. Altonaer Museum, n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2015.

2. 

     This is a poster advertising a show of my proud invention, the Eidophusikon. As you can see, I painted and made the entire production in my house by myself. I believe that show was a variety of scenes, but the most spectaclular of them all was the storm and the shipwreck which I constantly move the waves up and down with a ship struggling to move, imitating a violent shipwreck out at sea! You may notice in some of my posters, I do not charge much for my arts and services as I do it for the artistic spirit, not the money.

"GATSBYMagazine." GATSBYMagazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2015.

     3.  

           Well, well, well, isn’t this evidence of a lesser-known part of my life! As I said before, I have quite a role in the occult movement and have associated myself with a healing hand. I did some healing services for people after I came back to Europe at a good price before going back to my artistic career. However, the pamphlet for this event was actually circulated without my consent, resulting in me getting annoyed. Funny enough, it was dedicated to the Archbishop of Canterbury just to makes sure he could warn the people not to think of me as a heretic!
      4. 

     This picture is a beautiful drawing of the inside of the Drury Lane Theatre. After earning a scandalous reputation in England, I met the English actor manager of Drury Lane, David Garrick through a mutual friend. I was hired as scenic manager at the theater he managed, Drury Lane Theatre. The theatre was not well managed when I came, but I helped form 3D backgrounds and tested lighting which helped form that lovely scene on the platform in that image. However, the results seen in that image pushed me to later invent Eidophusikon.

Malheiro, B. "Victorian Theatre Production - 1876 Victorian England Revisited." Victorian Theatre Production - 1876 Victorian England Revisited. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

    5. 

     In addition to having a career in the theater, I also had my artistic career as a painter. As a painter, I always did realistic romantic paintings of events you would see in nature, most involving the sea. Following the traits of romantic, the individuals in this painting are small and the sky is so large and long that the sea pale in comparison, showing how violent the storm was for the shipwreck. This was also the main scene of my Eidophusikon show that I stated earlier!

"Collection." A Shipwreck off a Rocky Coast, (1760s) by Philippe Jacques De Loutherbourg. Art Gallery- NSW, n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

     6. 


     Ooh, I must hate to admit,  but I have certainly aged compared to the young picture of myself I currently occupy! This is a self portrait of myself which I do not usually do, but I decided to do so. Instead of some elegant position, I just ironically placed myself with a paint brush and pallet which I was exactly doing to paint this self-portrait! Haha! I was growing old age and inherited quite the white hair but even then, I was still taking a strong interest in the arts. I may seem fancy to nowadays standards but back then, I did not seem quite fancy with the clothes I am wearing in that self-portrait.

"Philippe Jacques De Loutherbourg." National Portrait Gallery, 2015. Web. 6 Dec. 2015.

     7.  

     After the very first show in my house as I referenced in my second image, it was very well received by the public and I got all kind of compliments! The poster called it “a moving picture”, “nature in all forms”, “sublime.”! This was very unprecedented for me but I took on the chance to further display my talents. I did it in the exhibition room and like last time, I did a small frugal price out of generosity. With the Eidophusikon, I did have a small moment of fame back then in the English society.

"The Richard Balzer Collection: The Eidophusikon." The Richard Balzer Collection: The Eidophusikon. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

     8. 

     Ah, Lucy. My dear lover, my wife. Lucy dear and I have a little complicated of a history when it came to our relationship. When I was in Paris, rumors of a….surprising inappropriate nature popped up and I received that job offer at Drury Lane so I left to England without her just to try escape the pain. You could assume that we were separated. However, after leaving the country to partake in the occult movement quite more and after a disagreement with the man I was cooperating with, I reunited with Lucy and went back to England together. What is bizarre is that she also did faith healing services with me which is an odd way to bring the two of us back together. But nonetheless, I am glad to have her back in my life.

"Lucy De Loutherbourg (née Paget)." NPG D16820;. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

        9. 

     This is another one of my romantic paintings which is of the Great Fire of London. Now this may seem irrelevant to me but I shall explain. Despite the troubles in Paris and the hate of my heritage, I was able to come to Britain and make a new name for myself and seek out what I truly loved, the arts. It just amazes me that a metropolis in one of the biggest empires in the world just simply succumbed to a simple fire which turned chaotic. I must say, I am quite glad I was not one of those scared refugee when I can be comfortable in my home theater!

Philippe-Jacques De Loutherbourg. The Great Fire of London. 1797. Yale Center for British Art. Yale Center for British Art. Web.

.       10. 

     Ah, this will most certainly put a bent in the mood. This is the grave of where I and my wife Lucy are buried. We are both buried in St. Nicholas Churchyard in Chiswick, a pretty part of London. Sadly, I died before Lucy did so she was quite alone as a widow but it is fortunate that we are now both in heaven together. I must say, it is a shame that her headstone is not ruined, but mine was ruined due to the weather.


"The London Dead." : Dr Lutherburgo Humbugo, Healer of Housebreakers. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment